The best way to prepare yourself for Old Man Winter is to know when he's coming your way.
• Listen to weather forecasts daily so you'll know when high winds and heavy storms– weather that's likely to affect power lines– are moving in.
• Put together an outage kit with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, a flashlight, candles, matches, a wind-up clock, bottled water and disposable dinnerware.
• Keep a stock of canned food in your pantry, along with a manual can opener. Think about buying a camp stove and fuel to cook food - outdoors only, please! if you can't use the electric stove.
• Pile a few extra blankets and sweaters together so you can find then easily if you lose heat. Dress in layers to stay warm.
• Warn children about the dangers of downed power lines. Even though power may be out, the wires may still be energized.